Saturday, May 31, 2008

AWAKENING

This morning as the sun had not yet peeked the horizon, and twilight was quickly leaving, Isaiah came into our room and climbed into bed with us. Children are so tender the moments just after awakening. I put my hand on his face and said are you happy? "Yes... I am happy Mommy" Did you have good dreams? "I did have good dreams." Did you learn anything in your dreams? "Yes, Jesus helped me learn in my dreams." What did Jesus teach you in your dreams? "Jesus taught me about the gospel." what did he teach you about the gospel? "I need to listen to him and follow his words Mommy." Did he teach you anything else? "He taught me about Nephi." Then before I could say anything else he said, "Mommy, Jesus is colorful... He is red, and blue, and yellow, and white..." and he went on and named many many colors. I asked; was his skin all these colors? "No... Not his skin, just everywhere, so many different colors mommy… bright colors, I don't think I know all of the colors that were all around him." and with that he said mommy I am hungry can you make me breakfast now? The moment was gone. 

I thought with a gentle smile about an ancestor of mine speaking moments before his passing that the colors he was seeing were so brilliant, not like any on earth... I looked at Isaiah and I thought of the blessing it is to witness this child so young and so innocent sharing such a wonderful experience. I am blessed to have this child in my life, and so grateful he has such a miraculous gift of speech to share with me in such detail the glory he saw.  

A few years ago, Jason and I were driving on Highway 101 up by the Olympic Mountains. We came around a mountain bend and we saw a vision of glory. We grabbed the camera to expectantly capture this awe of beauty coming down from the heavens. It was something you would see in a movie - but never in life. Here it is. The heavens opened. No camera tricks, just a glorious pillar of light breaking through the clouds. Hundreds of smaller rays acted almost as sentinels protecting the light.

 

We were stunned. We felt we observed something in nature that is seldom seen. The picture can only give you a tiny glimpse of the colors that were present that day. When Isaiah tried to elucidate the colors, I immediately reflected of this experience and how we viewed colors that day that were beggaring description. I wondered if I had witnessed the colors he was trying to describe? 

At the top of the picture you can see that the camera could not quite capture the radiant brilliant light. Only a second later the light had disappeared (picture 2). What a wonderful reminder this gentle child gave me this morning, brilliance is everywhere, glory is among us… Do we see it?


1 comment:

jmholloway said...

How I missed this site for so long I am not sure, but I am embarrassed.

This is an amazing page, Sheryl. Your gift with words is amazing and uplifting. You express your testimony and feelings so everyone knows exactly what you are thinking. I thank you for sharing something so deep and enlightening. You are truly someone I aspire to be like. I love how close you live to the Spirit and lift everyone you come in contact with. Thank you for being you.

I love you,

Mindi :)